Cúllar Vega is located on the outskirts of the city of Granada, on the left bank of the river Dílar, before its confluence with Genil river. It belongs to the region of “La Vega de Granada”, historically recognized as a distinct territory for its environment and its morphological and productive habitat that has served well to the land workers. It has an area of 4 km2 and a total population of 6,914 inhabitants (year 2010), divided between a core population and the Ventorrillo newly built development close to the center. Its altitude is 641 meters above sea level and its situated at a distance of 8 km from the capital city of Granada. With regard to cultural heritage, numerous architectural highlights reflect the different cultures that have passed through this land over the centuries.
As previously said, the population according to 2010 data was 6.914 inhabitants. The density is 1.607,91hab/km2. The population is dispersed in 2 cores, 80% in the main core and 20% in the neighbourhood “El Ventorrillo”. The average age of the population is significantly younger than the reference municipalities and provincial levels. The percentage of foreign population in Cúllar Vega stands at 5.89%, with a total of 407 people surveyed, highlighting the significant increase over the last five years. The crude birth rate is well above the provincial rate and the Andalusian one, but suffers a decline from the year 2009.
In order to obtain a more complete picture of the economic sector of the population, the following sections are listed:
- AGRICULTURE/LIVESTOCK: Among the most important crops irrigated stand, in order of importance, first the snuff (65 hectares). This crop of great economic importance, faces an uncertain future with the new regulations. Secondly emphasizes the cultivation of vegetables (being the garlic and onions the most significant), with 62 ha, and finally grain maize, with 35 ha. In Cúllar Vega, caprine livestock mainly stands with 60,1%, followed by 17,3% with bovine, sheep occupies 10%, with little relevance for the rest of livestock, equine, swine and poultry, with 5%, 4% and 1% respectively.
- INDUSTRIAL/CONSTRUCTION: Construction is one of the cornerstones of economic activity in the province of Granada. Its weight in the overall economy has progressively advanced in recent decades to double their weight in the income of the province. It is also the only sector that has increased its relative share in the national assembly during this period.
- SERVICES: The wholesale and retail trade is one of the main economic activities of the municipality representative, noting the retail distribution of food, beverages and snuff, followed by distributing household equipment and textiles. Companies framed in such distribution are usually SMEs, business profile highlighting individual and family.
In the municipality of Cúllar Vega there has been an increase in waste production, reaching a value of 512.61 kg/person/year, although lower than the provincial average. This production also is not distributed evenly throughout the year, but the summer months are the most important ones, ranking the month of February as the one producing less waste. On the positive side, the municipality has also increased the services of waste collection. The water supply presents suitable values for all parameters that determine quality for human consumption.
Cúllar Vega City Council over recent years has worked extensively in municipal planning, establishing plans and ordinances reference for various general areas and regional planning, and strategic development of the municipality, as well as others that cover specific areas: public lighting, waste management, and mobility, among others. Here are the different planning tools including performances and working mechanisms that contribute in one way or another to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases.
Now the municipality is working on improving and applying the main working lines under its Sustainable Energy Action Plan, with which it aims to save an ambitious 20.10% of its CO2 emissions by 2020. Speaking about new initiatives, as the economic crisis is affecting every program of the institution, one of the main lines of work will be the next years in the field of Energy Service Companies, as the capacity of investment of the municipality is very small nowadays.
The main working lines of the SEAP are stated down here:
- BUILDINGS, EQUIPMENT / FACILITIES: Installation of solar thermal energy in public buildings (replacing electric heaters), building residential solar power sector (Installation in 10% of homes), promoting biomass sector residential fireplaces (Installation in 10% of homes)
- TRANSPORTATION: Fleet Management (Fuel, control, and promotion)
- LOCAL ELECTRICITY PRODUCTION: Photovoltaic Solar Energy Development Residential Sector (Installation in 10% of homes)
- URBAN LAND USE AND TRANSPORT: pedestrian mobility (pedestrianization, architectural barriers and sidewalks), management roads (reordering, zones 20-30, restriction and regulations), parking management, mobility cycling and management (bicycle parking, car sharing platform etc.)
- COLLABORATION WITH CITIZENS AND STAKEHOLDERS: Awareness and participation (Promotion of mobility, the use of public transport, efficient driving training)
Below, sustainable energy actions already implemented (or under development) in Cúllar Vega are:
- LED Pilot project of public lighting in central areas (30 LED Luminaries of near 40W) will be completed end of 2013
- Provincial RENOVAL programme for the entire municipality (200MV Lamps of 125W replaced by HPSV 70W) was completed.