With a population of 69600 people, Giurgiu municipality is 64 km south east from Bucharest, capital of Romania. Giurgiu is situated on a plain – the Southern part of the Romanian Plain has an area of 5,233,31 ha. The landscape is flat altitude not exceeding 25 m. The relief was essential determined by the Danube River which provides Giurgiu with fluvial connection to the Black Sea and Northern Sea and with the biggest European capitals: Beograd, Budapest and Vienne. Agriculture, tertiary, industry, tourism, services, stockbreeding are the most representative economy sectors.
Giurgiu Municipality is already active in projects of regional and European interest such as:
- Project Pro – STO – Best practices in order to implement the Solar Thermal Obligations, financed by IEE Programme in 2007, a strong dissemination campaign with respect to renewables’ use. Within the project it has been developed, aproved and disseminated the Recommendation regarding solar energy’s use in new and existing buildings from Giurgiu town;
- Mounting the solar pannels for 5 gyms and 6 blocks of flats;
- Performing the greenhouse emissions inventory for some buildings belonging to the Mayoralty;
- Placement of solar panels for 8 municipal buildings through an 80% financed project by Environment Fund Administration;
- Full thermal rehabilitation for 2 blocks of flats.
Giurgiu has signed twinning protocols and develops twinning activities with Ruse and Veliko Tarnovo (Bulgaria), Peristeri (Greece), Edirne and Inegől (Turkey), Izmail (Ucrainne), Dunaújváros (Hungary) and Ramat Gan (Israel).
Main political commitments with respect to energy field started in August 2008 (joined the Covenant of Mayors initiative). Giurgiu is nowadays developing its SEAP within Green Twinning project considering 2008 as a reference year and aiming at more than 20% CO2 reduction by 2020.
A technical team and a Steering Committee for the development and discussion of the SEAP were established in 2012 . The SEAP of Giurgiu focuses mainly on following activities:
- Buildings and building components (municipal, tertiary, residencial)
- Public lighting
- Transport (municipal fleet, public transport, commercial, private)
- Supply with heat
- Local energy generation (solar, high efficiency co-generation, biomass)
- Urban planning (strategic planning, sustainable urban mobility plan, local regulations’ development for sustainable buildings)
- Procurement (local regulations for green procurement, local regulations regarding renewables, etc.)
- Communications consultations services, financial support, awareness and dissemination campaigns, trainings, organize Giurgiu Days)
- Waste Management