Twinning between Ilion (GR) and Armilla (ES)
In the framework of the Green-Twinning project, Ilion, a Greek municipality in Attica Prefecture signed a twinning agreement with Armilla, a Spanish municipality from the Province of Granada in November 2013. The co-operation between the two municipalities as well as the twinning activities initiated in October 2013, when the twinning work plan was approved by both municipalities, and will last until March 2014.
Armilla, technically supports Ilion in implementing sustainable energy actions in the framework of the Covenant of Mayors initiative and more specifically in:
- Street lighting including a study which records the existing street lighting levels in the municipality, (b) the use of a centralized GIS system for the design and management of street lighting and (c) installation and upgrading to Led lights for the reduction of electricity consumption.
- Green Roofs in public building
The partnership is consisted of the two municipalities, Ilion and Armilla that have signed the twinning agreement and of the three GREEN TWINNING partners, PEDA (Regional Union of Municipalities of Attica), AER (Energy Agency of Ribera) and EXERGIA Energy and Environment Consultants. Each partnership party has been assigned specific roles and has separate and distinguished responsibilities, as described below. The Provincial Energy Agency of Granada (APEGR) is also participating as Consultant of Maracena.
Kick – off meeting
The kick-off meeting was held through a skype teleconference on October 16, 2013. The purpose of the meeting was to formally launch the twinning and notify and bring together all partnership parties in order to ensure that they have a common understanding of the project, their roles and objectives. During the meeting the activities and environmental profile of the twinning municipalities were presented and the partnership discussed on the work plan, the training needs of Ilion, the provision of specific technical assistance on SEAP actions as well as the next steps.
The kick-off meeting was attended by:
- Vasiliki Zannikou, Ilion
- Olivier Cortes and Yolanda Miranda, Armilla
- Rena Papadimitriou and Kalypso Siouna, PEDA
- Placid Madramany, AER
- Maria Athanasopoulou and Konstantinos Georgakopoulos, EXERGIA
- Gonzalo Esteban, APEGR
Please click here to download the agenda of the meeting and the two presentations made by the municipalities.
Memorandum of Agreement
In order to formalize the twinning agreement, Mr. Nikolaos Zenetos (Mayor of Ilion) and Mr. Gerando Sánchez Escudero (Mayor of Armilla) signed a co-operation agreement that officially manifests the complete commitment of twinning counterparts to developing the twinning activities.
Please click here to see the Memorandum of Agreement.
Study visit to Armilla
Pavlos Antonopoulos and Christos Pappous, engineers οf Ilion’s Technical services department, visited Armilla on 21-22 November 2013. They were informed of the below sustainable energy actions:
- OTEROs construction company Offices (Geothermal, Solar, Green Roof, Passive Coolingand heating, BEMS)
- Bioclimatic house experience in Atarfe
- New facilities on Energy Building Control by Granada University (Madraza Palace)
- PV, Green Roof, and EV Facilities in Granada Energy Agency Offices
- Public awareness activities (Walking bus to primary schools – Santa Fé)
- Concrete measures and potential financing schemes (PPP, funds etc. for financing SEAP actions
- MicroLED facility for Public Lighting in Cozvijar
- BPS Offices specialised in Green Roofs, living walls and passive building measures
- Public Lighting facilities, as well as Public Lighting control centers and Web accessibility control in Armilla
- Metro Public transport and Public Bike rental activity in Armilla
After the kick-off meeting and the study visit in Armilla, representatives of the twinning municipalities exchange ideas and experience through e-mails.
Through the twinning partnership, Ilion is developing a study which with the use of a centralized GIS system records the existing street lighting levels in the municipality while is preparing for investment financing the construction of a green roof in the municipal social care center.
During February, the partnership will hold a teleconference in order to discuss the progress of the milestones, the delivery/submission of the outputs and update the work plan.
For more information on the twinning between Ilioupoli and Maracena, please contact Kalypso Siouna (PEDA) at: firstname.lastname@example.org