Motril is a Spanish municipality of the Province of Granada, Andalusia (Southeast of Spain). Motril is located south of the province of Granada between the Sierra mountain barrier Lújar and the Mediterranean Sea. Motril is between Granada, Malaga and Almeria and therefore constitutes an important point of influence linked to them by the N-323 and N-340 roads. We must highlight the central position of Motril in Granada coast, saying it has the only sea port of the province of Granada.
The town of Motril is composed of the following administrative zones: Las Ventillas, Puntalón, Torrenueva, Varadero, Carchuna, Calahonda, La Garnatilla. It is bordered to the east by Salobreña and Almuñécar, and to the west by Albuñol and Castell de Ferro. Motril is the largest population center in the province after Granada capital and forms, together with these and other municipalities the known region of the “Costa Tropical”. Due this name to the climate and culture of tropical fruits, which characterize these kilometers of the Andalusian coast.
The town of Motril in the year 2010 was 60.884. Motril center is the largest population center populated with 50.185, followed by Torrenueva with 2.617 and Carchuna with 2.075, coastal cores significantly increase their population in the summer months. Immigration is very important because the number of foreigners is of 6.432 inhabitants, and its main source of Romania.
Over 50% of the population works in the service sector, mainly trade sector, in fact, in the municipality there are over 2,600 establishments whose main activity is trade (1,100 establishments), 200 to 555 to real estate and construction related activities.
Agriculture still plays a significant role in the town, due to the presence of the River “Vega Guadalfeo”, there are currently about 5.600 ha, mainly cucumber, custard apple and almond. These activities determine the industry that exists in the town which is related mainly to manipulation of agricultural products. As for the unemployed population, the figures have suffered a significant rise in the last years. Contracts are temporary mainly due to the instability of the major economic sectors: tourism, construction and agriculture.
Motril is a town that has an Agenda 21 with a long journey, in 2000 signed the Aalborg Charter and in the year 2006 developed the Action Plan of the Municipality. As for the waste recycling rate is increasing as in the rest of the province and in many places have been changed the street containers for new underground containers ones. In recent years one of the most important environmental projects have been conducted in Motril, as the declaration of Natural Reserve of the “Suárez Pond”. In 2009, within about 14 ha, located 100m from the beach of Motril was finished the infrastructure that provided for conservation and environmental education, earning several national awards.
Environmental education is present in the municipality, through various campaigns aimed at some schools as composting in school visits Fisheries Development Center, visits Suárez Pond activities, climate change and energy, trips to environmental sites, and others dedicated to the general public as saving water systems, distribution of cloth bags, mail shot campaigns, celebration of a Renewable Energy Caravan, etc.
In this municipality the biggest expenditures occur in residential housing and transport.
The Energy Optimization Plan of Motril was developed in 2003, being the first one in Andalusia. The energy efficiency of buildings, street lighting and traffic lights were studied. Since then renewable energy facilities have been promoted with the installation of two wind farms (2006) in “El Conjuro”, and solar energy in some residential roofs.
In addition, criteria has been applied to new bioclimatic housing construction (eco-housing), as well are planned new green spaces, actions to improve mobility in the town, as both, the development of new ordinances, such as the implementation of bicycle lanes, and awareness campaigns and sensitization.
Finally, the City of Motril over recent years, has worked extensively in municipal planning, establishing benchmark plans and ordinances for various general areas as land use planning, and strategic development of the municipality, as well as covering other topics specific lighting, waste management, and mobility, among others.
Now the municipality is working on improving and applying the main working lines under its Sustainable Energy Action Plan, with which it aims to save an ambitious 24,76% of its CO2 emissions by 2020. Speaking about new initiatives, as the economic crisis is affecting every program of the institution one of the main lines of work will be the next years in the field of Energy Service Companies, as the capacity of investment of the municipality is very small nowadays.
The main working lines of the SEAP are stated down here:
- BUILDING EQUIPMENT /FACILITIES AND INDUSTRY: Installing detectors in 10 buildings, change of 50 air conditioners in public buildings with more efficient ones, Household Appliance Renewal Plan, replacing fixtures and street lights.
- TRANSPORTATION: Renewal of the vehicle fleet, reduced pricing / TP bonuses use, promoting sustainable transport in commercial areas or hypermarkets, improved signaling/ comfort and information at stops, Improved accessibility to public transport, creation and maintenance of the bus lane, establish a system of public transport (lines / frequencies / times), Efficient Driving Course for 500 drivers.
- LOCAL ELECTRICITY PRODUCTION: Installing rooftop solar plants with a nominal power of 30 kW, installation of 4566 square meters of solar panels in the municipality, Installation of solar panels
- TERRITORIAL MANAGEMENT: Creating bike lanes, urban planning criteria of sustainable mobility, reforestation of 250 hectares with trees and shrubs of Mediterranean type, planting of 2909 trees, Eco-housing construction, Implementation of new green areas in the town of Motril, pedestrian areas in the shopping area, creating pedestrian routes, conditioning of sidewalks to promote pedestrian transport, elimination of architectural barriers, creating cycling routes, developing a bicycle rent system, reordering traffic, redistribution of passing traffic and connecting neighborhoods, traffic restrictions in the downtown area, creating a cyclist ordinance, policies to discourage the use of private vehicles.
- COLLABORATION WITH CITIZENS AND STAKEHOLDERS: creating a mobile office, installing a car-sharing platform, creating a Sustainable Mobility Forum, development of e-participation in the town of Motril, awareness campaign for energy saving and efficiency in the tertiary sector, qwareness campaign for savings and efficiency in the residential sector, campaign in 15,000 households raising awareness of energy efficiency, creating school routes, promoting pedestrian mobility etc.
- WATER MANAGEMENT: increase the area of efficient mechanism for crop irrigation to 1000 hectares, 90% of the green areas of the municipality are automated
- OTHER: transformation of crops currently implemented by farming (5000 hectares)